Published: Mon, April 03, 2017
Medical | By Sammy Miller

Hotel carbon monoxide leak kills child, hospitalizes others


One child dead and six others found unconscious around a hotel pool, after what looks to be a frightful case of Carbon monoxide poisoning.

Eight children and one police officer were taken to Memorial, Heidi Prescott, a spokeswoman for Memorial, said.

Two county deputies and two hotel employees were also taken to hospitals after helping the unconscious victims.

The Nile Police Department identified him as 13-year-old Bryan Watts.

Wise said it's unclear how long the children, who range in age from about 10 to 14, were unconscious before they were found.

Niles Fire Department Captain Don Wise attributed the incident to a faulty pool heater.

Niles authorities said it was too early to know the cause of the carbon monoxide leak, but Wise suspects it could have been from a natural gas heater.

Susan Koeppen reports on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning - known as the "silent killer" - and how it hits hardest in the winter.

Twitter makes room for more characters in tweets
With the character limit relaxed, users will be encouraged to share pictures, links and videos, helping boost engagement. The new tweak follows news last week Twitter may be considering a paid, premium version of the platform for some users.

The other children rushed to hospital are reported to be in a stable condition in hospital.

Six children were found unresponsive on this pool deck.

At least 12 people have been taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak at Quality Inn in Niles.

The entire hotel had to be evacuated.

One witness told WNDU that one of the mothers was screaming in the hallway when she came upon the children's limp bodies.

He said the carbon-monoxide reading was 800 parts per million, calling it "an extreme danger level". The maximum allowable by OSHA standards is 50 parts per million.

The hotel will remain closed for a few days while crews work to fix the pool heater.

There was no carbon monoxide detector in the pool area. "At those levels, they don't have much time before they're going to go unresponsive".

Like this: